File Converter install challenge

Hello, I am working on trying to convert the bin files captured from the Camera app into a jpg or png file but I am struggling with getting through the tutorial for the File Converter tutorial. For this tutorial it states that it must be run locally so I am working on a Windows system for this. But Step 2 of the tutorial is to install the ADK but that only has examples for Linux and Mac.

I am getting the following error when trying to install farm-ng-amiga with these requirements:

cd py/examples/file_converter
pip install -r requirements.txt

Building wheels for collected packages: farm-ng-core
Building wheel for farm-ng-core (pyproject.toml) … error
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Building wheel for farm-ng-core (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
│ exit code: 1
╰─> [92 lines of output]

Will this process not work on Window systems? I am also not the greatest at programing so I am sure I am missing somthing.

Thanks for any help!

I encountered the same error when trying to build on Windows, but switching to a Linux system immediately fixed it. I believe building on Linux and Mac are the only options as of now.

Hi @srbecker,

I’d second @larslundqvist here, but here’s a little more context:

In windows you may be using PowerShell or the Command Prompt, right? One of the packages that is a dependency to install the ADK is farm-ng-core, which need to be build from source if you are not running a Linux system. That’s the building wheel error you are seeing. The thing is, for installing it from source you will have to install basic tools like git, python (I recommend 3.8), pip, venv, etc. and then deal with possible compatibility issues, all before actually getting to develop your applications. Therefore, I strongly recommend you use a Linux machine to deal with our ADK (and robotics in general).

Hopefully, Windows now supports WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), so you can access a Linux system from within your Windows. Just go to your Microsoft Store and install Ubuntu 20.04.6 (you can technically use other distros, but this is the one that runs in you Brain, so I recommend it).

Don’t forget to reboot you machine after installing and them run it simply starting the app from you start menu. You can follow the docs for Linux from there…

Let us know if that worked…

@MScatolin - that worked like a charm! I went the route of the WSL for working on my laptop since I don’t have access to a Linux system just yet.
Thank you for the help!

Glad to hear that!

I’d say that, among the multiple reasons Linux distros are the go-to operational systems to work with robotics, the compatibility with embedded is really a plus and make the users life way easier… having to deal with compatibility issues in a non-open-source environment is really hard.