GPS RTK unable to connect to ORGN base stations

• What package and version are you using ?
    LATEST
  • Please, describe the issues you are seeing ?
    We are attempting to use a service provided by the Oregon Department of Transport that provides real-time correctors. However, no matter what combination of information I put in, the GPS always remains disconnected.
    ** Any possible information will make the live of the community members easy to reply and provide a solution.
    Amiga is powered and connected to the internet.
    Here is the link for relevant information to the service (ORGN) we are using; (Oregon Department of Transportation : Products and Services : Oregon Real-Time GNSS Network : State of Oregon)

Here is some information about the fields that need to be filled:
    We are provided with a username and password, along with an IP address to connect to the service. They also provide a list of ports to connect to, as different ports offer different services and communication types. I have tried all of them with similarly unsuccessful results.

From my understanding, the datasheet said the GPS module that comes with the brain kit communicated with RTCP 3.3, and their service provides support for all RTCP 3.x.

Thanks in advance!

From what I’m seeing, the problem is most likely your mountpoint, which it looks like the default that it ships with our machines.

From a quick look at the link you provided, it may be one of these: “Nearest_Single_GG_RTCM3” “Nearest_Single_RTCM3, or “MAX_RTCM3”.

Thank you for your reply @MScatolin !

I tried most of the list of ports provided with their associative “mountpoints” (e.g. the MAX_RTCM3) making sure the Amiga is powered and connected to Internet, and all attempts were unsuccessful.

I did call the people that manage ORGN, and they stated to navigate to that IP address on the rover, which will take you to a webpage where you need to input your username and password. Is this what the Amiga does, and if not, is this possible to do?

Unfortunately we don’t have a browser application in the robot, so you will not be able to open the page.

Have you read through their documentation on alternate ways to connect?

On a side note, when you navigate to http://167.131.109.57:9882/, it returns a list of strings containing mountpoints. I would start trying those.

Basically what the Brain do is connecting to the their RTCM service using the provided credentials, and provide the GGA message according to the NMEA-0183 specs so the service can send corrections from the appropriate physical base station.

I did try out the modified IP address you stated with a wide range of mounting points and ports, and unfortunately everything came out unsuccessful.

I appreciate the help, however it seems there are additional steps only accomplishable in their website beyond the GGA messages. Unfortunately, this is the only way to receive NTRIP connection with their infrastructure, and we are going to need the extra accuracy provided by the setup. As of now, there does not seem to be a way to establish NTRIP connection.

I am obviously inexperienced with GPS technologies, I was wondering if there were recommendations listed somewhere for good base stations that are known to work with the Amiga? Any help would be massively appreciated.

Maybe you could find a way to intercept the http request they do and create a script to enter your credentials? I guess this would be a “hacky” way to do it. If you prefer to go another way, you have a few options:

• Signup for a paid service. There are several services that provide RTK corrections and were tested with Amiga. Two that we worked in the past are Topcon and Point One, but any that do not uses a Virtual Reference Station that changes after every connection should work (we are currently not supporting it, but probably will i the future). When in doubt, shoot us a mesage with the service you intend to use and I can take a look for you.
  • Purchase a base station from our online shop: we have a base station that is based on our Brain hardware. You can set up it on your roof, for example, and you will have you our service. This is exactly what we do here, and is a one-time cost.
  • Build your own base station using another hardware (a mini-computer or a raspberryPi for e.g.), which would be the most cost effective option, with no subscription, but requires some familiarity with hadware and software.

Thank you for your time @MScatolin. After doing a bit of digging around, we have found an old Emlid Reach RS2 from another department, which seems to be able to provide data over NTRIP without all of the overhead. I hope this solution works, and for you to have a good evening.

Great to hear! Happy coding!

Just as a closing remark for my thread for anyone curious, we actually just resolved my original problem. We ARE able to get RTK correction from ORGN via NTRIP, and as far as I can tell, the only problem was there being a small wait period after your confirmation email to when the account actually works (They never specified an amount of time, but for us it was about 3 days). This could be because this is a recently new service, and they experience unexpected delays. Second, they likely prompted me to go to a webpage because most of their beta customers use laptops that are often directly connected to some receiver for data collection reasons. TL;DR input information as given in email, and if it does not work give it a couple of days. Sorry for the fuss.

Great to hear!

And thanks for the note here! I hope our Oregon users get the service going!

Can you share the accuracy you guys are seeing up there? (Check at Settings > GPS NTRIP > RELPOSNED > Accuracy North and Accuracy East?

Well, I haven’t been able to test in the best environments (best I could do was a soccer field surrounded by tall trees), but accuracy readings so far have been hovering around 1cm of accuracy for both metrics. Sometimes the error will spike to to nearly 3cm, causing then GPS and thus the filter to fail, but again not the most open and clear environment for our GPS unit. Furthermore, they have stated the service is still expanding - only 13 or so of thier stations are transmitting NTRIP out of many more that are around the state, so I expect this service only to improve.

That’s good to know.

Also, after v2.3.0, you can change the filter conversion thresholds from 0.01 (the default) to whatever it makes sense on your application. Just go to Settings > Robot Localization to view/change that and more parameters!

1 Like